Human DNA facts
|| DNA Facts:
- If a chromosome was stretched straight it
would be 1.7 to 8.5 cm in length.
- If the diameter of the DNA (2 nanometers) was
as wide as a fishing line (0.5 millimeters) it might
stretch as far as 21.2 km (or 13.6 miles) in length
which would all have to be packed into a nucleus sack
the equivalent of 25 cm in diameter.
That is some packaging!
- The human genome is contained in 23 pairs
- The DNA within the human genome makes up 60,000
to 100,000 genes.
- Human chromosomes vary in size from 50 million
to 250 million base pairs (or rungs on the double helix ladder).