- General Foods Company, Hoboken, New Jersey, summer 1954
- DuPont Company, Belle, West Virginia, summer 1955
- Union Carbide, South Charleston, West Virginia, summer 1956
- DuPont Company, Wilmington, Delaware, summer 1957
- Department of Chemistry, Florida State University
- Instructor (1962-1963)
- Assistant Professor (1963-1967)
- Associate Professor (1967-1972)
- Professor (1972-2003)
- Professor Emeritus (2003-present)
- Adjunct Professor 2004
- Liaison, New Building Planning, 2003-2004
- College of Medicine, Florida State University
- Courtesy Appointment (2002-2004)
- Associate Chairman, Department of Chemistry, Florida State University (1974-1977)
- Acting Director, Program in Medical Sciences, Florida State University (1978-1979)
- Courtesy Appt., Acting Dean, U. of Fla. Medical School (1978-1979)
- Chairman, Department of Chemistry, Florida State University (1983-1990)
- Program Director, Instrumentation and Instrument Development, DIR/BBS, National Science Foundation (1990-1991)
- Member, Advisory Council, National Center for Research Resources, National Institutes of Health (1990-1991)
- Phi Beta Kappa (elected at Duke University)
- (FSU Chapter President: 1971-72, 1993-94)
- Phi Kappa Phi (elected at Virginia Tech)
- (FSU Chapter President: 1994-95)
- Omicron Delta Kappa (elected at Virginia Tech)
- Phi Lambda Upsilon (elected at Virginia Tech)
- Sigma Xi (elected at Duke University)
- Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship, 1957-1958
- NSF Predoctoral Fellowship, 1958-1960
- NSF Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1960-1962
- USPHS Research Career Development Award, 1967-1972
- (full salary for five years)
- George Miller Award for Excellence in Teaching
- (University award, Florida State University, 1967)
- Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung, U.S. Senior Scientist Award, 1977
- Biosynthesis and metabolism of fungal polyketides, fatty acids, and lipids.
- Regulation of secondary metabolism.
- Structure and function of lipids.
- Flavonoid biosynthesis.
- Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois, Urbana, April-June, 1967 (Laboratory of Lowell Hager)
- Department of Medical Chemistry, Royal Veterinary College, Stockholm, Sweden, July-December, 1970 (Laboratory of Bengt Samuelsson)
- Biology Institute II, University of Freiburg, Freiburg., West Germany, March-October, 1977 (Laboratory of Klaus Hahlbrock)
- American Chemical Society
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
The Use of Polyphosphoric Acid and Phenyl Acid Phosphate as Cyclodehydration Agents and an Attempted Unequivocal Synthesis of 10-(2-Napthyl)-1,2-benzanthracene and 9-(1-Napthyl)-1,2-benzanthracene. Virginia Polytechnic Institute, 1957. (Thesis advisor: Frank A. Vingiello.)
Some Acylations and Aldol Type Condensations Involving Dicarbanions of Beta-Diketones. Certain Cyclizations. Duke University, 1960. (Dissertation advisor: Dr. Charles R. Hauser.)
James S. V. Hunter, Studies on the Biosynthesis of 8,9,13-Triacetoxydocosanoic Acid in Yeast, 1970.
Theodore W. Esders, Biosynthesis of Glycolipids in Candida bogoriensis, 1971.
Steven W. G. Fehler, Studies on the Biosynthesis of Non-Isoprenoid Alkanes in the Blue-Green Algae Anabaena variabilis, 1972.
Robert W. Bryant, Jr., Biosynthesis of the Polyketide Stipitatonic Acid, 1973.
Michael L. Bucholtz, The Metabolism of Glycolipids in the Yeast, Candida bogoriensis, 1974.
Adrian J. Cutler, The Control of Glycolipid Production in Candida bogoriensis, 1978.
Douglas L. McCullough, Protein Phospholipid Interactions: Hydrolysis of Soy Lecithin Vesicles by Venom Phospholipase A2, 1978.
Raymond F. DeGrella, The Uptake and Utilization of Fatty Acids by Dispersed Adult Rat Heart Myocytes, 1979.
Rebecca S. Goodloe, Studies on the Hydrocarbon Composition and Biosynthesis from Two Blue Green Algae, 1980.
Jeffrey W. Priest, Application of HPLC and FPLC to the Detection and Purification of Patulin Biosynthetic Enzymes from Penicillium Patulum, 1988.
Paul Kirsch, Production of a Genomic DNA Library in Lambda Phage for Penicillium patulum, and Isolation and Partial Characterization of Patulin Pathway Induction-Phase-Specific Clones from the Library. 1989.
Sharon A. Arihood, The Metabolism of 6-Methylsalicylic Acid and Patulin in Penicillium patulum, 1965.
W. C. Chiang, Lipids of Penicillium griseofulvum, 1965.
Patricia B. Ward, Fatty Acids of Three Plankton Organisms, 1966.
Aaron L. Trenary, Comparative Studies of Fatty Acid De Novo Synthesis and Elongationin Candida bogoriensis, 1982.
Jay A. Hammer, Purification and Characterization of the Glucosyltransferases of Torulopsis sp., 1983.
Delbert D. Bauzon, Partial Purification of an NADPH-Cytochrome C Reductase of Penicillium Patulum., 1995.
Timothy M. Breeden. The Initial Purification Scheme of an NADPH-Cytochrome C Reductase from Candida bombicola., 1996
1. Light, R.J. and Hauser, C.R., Aroylations of beta-Diketones at the Terminal Methyl Group to Form 1,3,5-Triketones. Cyclizations to 4-Pyrones and 4-Pyridones., J. Org. Chem., 25, 538-546 (1960).
2. Light, R.J. and Hauser, C.R., Cyclization of 1,5-Diphenyl-1,3,5-pentanetrione with Ethyl Oxalate. 3,5-Dibenzoyl-1,2,4-cyclopentanetrione and its Quinoxaline., J. Org. Chem., 26, 1296-1298 (1961).
3. Light, R.J., Harris, T.M. and Hauser, C.R., Carbonyl versus Conjugate Addition of Dipotassio-benzoylacetone with Certain alpha, beta-Unsaturated Ketones., J. Org. Chem., 26, 1344-1347 (1961).
4. Light, R.J. and Hauser, C.R., Condensations of Dialkali beta-Diketones with Ketones or Aldehydes to Form Hydroxy-beta-Diketones. Dehydration Products. Equilibrium Factors., J. Org. Chem., 26, 1716-1724 (1961).
5. Bloch, K., Baronowsky, P., Goldfine, H., Lennarz, W., Light, R.J., Norris, A.T. and Scheuerbrandt, G., Biosynthesis and Metabolism of Unsaturated Fatty Acids., Federation Proceedings, 20, 921-927 (1961).
6. Light, R.J., Lennarz, W.J. and Bloch, K., Metabolism of Hydroxystearic Acids in Yeast., J. Biol. Chem., 237, 1793-1800 (1962).
7. Lennarz, W.J., Light, R.J. and Bloch, K., A Fatty Acid Synthetase from E. Coli., Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci., 40, 840-846 (1962).
8. Meyer, F., Light, R.J. and Bloch, K., Fatty Acid Metabolism in Anaerobic Yeast., Biochem. Probl. Lipids, Proc. Intern. Conf., 7th Birmingham, Engl. 415-421 (1962).
9. Hampton, K.G., Light, R.J. and Hauser, C.R., Twofold Terminal Alkylations of Disodio-beta-Diketones with Methylene Halides to Form Bis-beta-Diketones., J. Org. Chem., 30, 1413-1416 (1965).
10. Light, R.J. and Wascheck, C., Liver Fatty Acids of Rana Grylio Tadpoles and Frogs., Comp. Biochem. Physiol., 15, 167-173 (1965).
11. Light, R.J., Acetate Metabolism in Penicillium griseofulvum. Incorporation of 1-C14-2-H3-Acetate into 6-Methylsalicyclic Acid and Fatty Acids., Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 112, 163-169 (1965).
12. Arihood, S. and Light, R.J., Inhibition of 6-Methylsalicylic Acid Synthesis in Penicillium patulum., Nature, 210, 629-630 (1966).
13. Harris, T.M., Harris, C.M. and Light, R.J., The Isolation of Triacetic Acid Lactone from Cultures of Penicillium patulum., Biochem. Biophys. Acta, 121, 420-423 (l966).
14. Light, R.J., Harris, T.M. and Harris, C.M., Metabolism of Triacetic Acid and Triacetic Acid Lactone., Biochemistry, 5, 4037-4043 (1966).
15. Light, R.J. and Easton, D.M., Saponifiable Fatty Acids of Myelinated and Unmyelinated Nerve Fibers of Garfish., J. Neurochem., 14, 141-142 (1967).
16. Light, R.J., The Biosynthesis of 6-Methylsalicyclic Acid. Crude Enzyme Systems from Early and Late Producing Strains of Penicillium patulum., J. Biol. Chem., 242, 1880-1886 (1967).
17. Light, R.J., Effects of Cycloheximide and Amino Acid Analogues on Biosynthesis of 6-Methylsalicylic Acid in Penicillium patulum., Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 122, 494-500 (1967).
18. Light, R.J. and Hager, L.P., Molecular Parameters of 6-Methylsalicylic Acid Synthetase from Gel Filtration and Sucrose Density Gradient Centrifugation., Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 125, 326-333 (1968).
19. Light, R.J., 6-Methylsalicylic Acid Decarboxylase from Penicillium patulum, Biochem. Biophys. Acta, 191, 430-438 (1969).
20. Fehler, S.W.G. and Light, R.J., Biosynthesis of Hydrocarbons in Anabaena variabilis. Incorporation of [methyl-14C]- and [methyl-2H3]-Methionine into 7- and 8-Methylheptadecanes., Biochemistry, 9, 418-422 (1970).
21. Light, R.J., Enzymatic Studies on the Polyketide Hypothesis, J. Ag. Food Chem., 18, 260-267 (1970).
22. Hunter, J.S.V. and Light, R.J., Synthesis of 11-Oxo [1,11-14C]eicosanoic and 13-Oxo [1,13-14C]docosanoic Acids by the Acylation of Cyclic Enamines., Biochemistry 9, 4283-4288 (1970).
23. Hunter, J.S.V. and Light, R.J., Biosynthetic Studies on 8,9,13-Triacetoxydocosanoic Acid. In Vivo Incorporation of Fatty Acid Precursors., Biochemistry, 9, 4289-4296 (1970).
24. Light, R.J. and Samuelsson, B., Identification of Prostaglandins in the Gorgonian, Plexaura homomalla., Eur. J. Biochem., 28, 223-240 (1972).
25. Esders, T.W. and Light, R.J., Characterization and In Vivo Production of Three Glycolipids from Candida bogoriensis. 13-Glucopyranosylglucopyranosyloxydocosanoic Acid and its Mono- and Diacetylated Derivatives. J. Lipid Research, 13, 663-671 (1972).
26. Esders, T.W. and Light, R.J., Glucosyl- and Acetyltransferases Involved in Biosynthesis of Glycolipids from Candida bogoriensis., J. Biol. Chem., 247, 1375-1386 (1972).
27. Fehler, S.W.G. and Light, R.J., Biosynthesis of Methylheptadecanes in Anabaena variabilis. In Vitro Incorporation of S-[methyl-14C]-Adenosylmethionine., Biochemistry, 11, 2411-2416 (1972).
28. Esders, T.W. and Light, R.J., Occurrence of a UDP-Glucose:Sterol Glucosyltransferase in Candida bogoriensis., J. Biol. Chem., 247, 7494-7497 (1972).
29. Light, R.J., Identification and Analysis of Arachidonic Acid in Plexaura homomalla Var. R. and Var. S., Biochem. Biophys. Acta, 296, 461-465 (1973).
30. Bryant, R.W. and Light, R.J., Stipitatonic Acid Biosynthesis. Incorporation of [Formyl-14C]3-Methylorcylaldehyde and [14C]Stipitaldehydic Acid, A New Tropolone Metabolite., Biochemistry, 13, 1516-1522 (1974).
31. Light, R.J., Discussion of Analysis of Prostaglandins in Plexaura homomalla, in F.M. Bayer and A.J. Weinheimer, Eds., "Prostaglandins from Plexaura homomalla: Ecology, Utilization and Conservation of a Major Medical Marine Resource. A Symposium." University of Miami Press, Coral Gables, FL 1974, pp. 139-146.
32. Light, R.J. and Vogel, G., 6-Methylsalicyclic Acid (2, 6-Cresotic Acid) Decarboxylase from Penicillium patulum., in Methods in Enzymology, (Hash, J.H., ed.) Vol. XLIII, pp. 530-540, Academic Press, New York, 1975.
33. Bucholtz, M.L. and Light, R.J., Acetylation of 13-Sophorosyloxydocosanoic Acid by an Acetyltransferase Purified from Candida bogoriensis., J. Biol. Chem., 251, 424-430 (1976).
34. Bucholtz, M.L. and Light, R.J., Hydrolysis of 13-Sophorosyloxydocosanoic Acid Esters by Acetyl- and Carboxylesterases Isolated from Candida bogoriensis., J. Biol. Chem., 251, 431-437 (1976).
35. Light, R.J., Book Review of "The Enzymes of Biological Membranes: Vol. 2, The Biosynthesis of Cell Components". Trends in Biochemical Sciences, 2, 47 (1977).
36. Kreuzaler, F., Light, R.J. and Hahlbrock, K., Flavonone Synthase Catalyses CO2 Exchange and Decarboxylation of Malonyl-CoA. FEBS Letters, 94, 174-178 (1978).
37. Cutler, A.J. and Light, R.J., Regulation of Hydroxydocosanoic Acid Sophoroside Production in Candida bogoriensis by the Levels of Glucose and Yeast Extract in the Growth Medium. J. Biol. Chem., 254, 1944-1950 (1979).
38. Light, R.J. and Hahlbrock, K., Randomization of the Flavonoid A Ring During Biosynthesis of Kaempferol from [1, 2-13C2]Acetate in Cell Suspension Cultures of Parsley. Zeitschrift fur Naturforschung 35c, 717-721 (1980).
39. DeGrella, R.F. and Light, R.J., Uptake and Metabolism of Fatty Acids by Dispersed Adult Rat Heart Myocytes. I. Kinetics of Homologous Fatty Acids. J. Biol. Chem., 255, 9731-9738 (1980).
40. DeGrella, R.F. and Light, R.J., Uptake and Metabolism of Fatty Acids by Dispersed Adult Rat Heart Myocytes. II. Inhibition by Albumin and Fatty Acid Homologues, and the Effect of Temperature and Metabolic Reagents. J. Biol. Chem., 255, 9739-9745 (1980).
41. Cutler, A.J. and Light, R.J., Effect of Glucose Concentration in the Growth Medium on the Synthesis of Fatty Acids by the Yeast Candida bogoriensis. Can. J. Microbiol., 28, 223-230 (1982).
42. Goodloe, R.S. and Light, R.J., Structure and Composition of Hydrocarbons and Fatty Acids from a Marine Blue Green Alga, Synechococcus sp. Biochim. Biophys. Acta., 710, 485-492 (1982).
43. Goodloe, R.S. and Light, R.J., Biosynthesis of Hydrocarbon in Anabaena variabilis. In Vivo Incorporation of [18-14C]Stearate. Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 711, 261-265 (1982).
44. Breithaupt, T.B. and Light, R.J., Affinity Chromatography and Further Characterization of the Glucosyltransferases Involved in Hydroxydocosanoic Acid Sophoroside Production in Candida bogoriensis. J. Biol. Chem., 257, 9622-9628 (1982).
45. DeGrella, R.F. and Light, R.J., Uptake of Fatty Acids by Isolated Heart Myocytes. Basic Res. Cardiol., 80, Suppl. 2, 107-110 (1985).
46. Priest, J.W. and Light, R.J., Patulin Biosynthesis: Epoxidation of Toluquinol and Gentisyl Alcohol by Particulate Preparations from Penicillium patulum. Biochemistry, 28, 9192-9200 (1989).
47. Priest, J.W. and Light, R.J., Applications of HPLC to Quantitation of Metabolites and Enzymes of the Patulin Pathway from Penicillium patulum. J. Chromatog. 513, 237-246 (1990).
48. Priest, J.W., and Light, R.J., Patulin Pathway Metabolites from Penicillium patulum. LC Separations. In Atlas of Chromatograms, J. Chromatog. Sci., 29, 273 (1991).
49. Light, R.J., Yeast Hydroxy Fatty Acids and Fungal Polyketides: Lessons Learned from the Konrad Bloch Laboratory. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun., 292, 1213-1219 (2002).
R. J. Light, W. J. Lennarz, and K. Bloch, 9 (and 10)-Hydroxystearic Acid and Anaerobic Growth of Yeast. Paper No. 99, Division of Biological Chemistry, American Chemical Society Meeting, Chicago, 1961.
R. J. Light, T. M. Harris, and C. M. Harris, Metabolism of Triacetic Acid and its Lactone in Penicillium patulum. Federation Proc., 25, 768 (1966).
J. S. V. Hunter and R. J. Light, Biosynthesis of 8,9,13-Triacetoxydocosanoic Acid. Federation Proc., 27, 817 (1968).
R. J. Light, Biosynthesis of 6-Methylsalicylic Acid, Abstract C26, 5th International Symposium on the Chemistry of Natural Products, London, 1968.
R. J. Light, Enzymatic Studies on the Polyketide Hypothesis, Symposium on Biosynthesis in Division of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, American Chemical Society Meeting, New York, 1969.
D. L. McCullough and R. J. Light, Kinetic Studies of Phospholipase A in an Aqueous Assay System. Federation Proc., 29, 904 Abs (1970).
T. W. Esders and R. J. Light, Biosynthesis of Mono- and Diglucosyl Hydroxy Fatty Acids in Candida bogoriensis. Federation Proc., 30, 1080 Abs (1971).
R. W. Bryant, Jr., and R. J. Light, An Intermediate in the Biosynthesis of Stipitatonic Acid, Abstract 764, Ninth International Congress of Biochemistry, Stockholm, 1973.
M. L. Bucholtz and R. J. Light, Biosynthesis and Metabolism of Hydroxy Acid Sophoro-sides in Candida bogoriensis, Abstract 14-2-024., Tenth International Congress of Biochemistry, Hamburg, 1976.
R. J. Light and K. Hahlbrock, Biosynthesis of Flavonoids. Direction of Cyclization of the A Ring Determined by C-13 NMR. Federation Proc., 37, 1712 (1978), and abstracts of the 12th FEBS Meeting, Dresden, No. 310.
T. B. Breithaupt and R. J. Light, Copurification of Two Hydroxy Fatty Acid Glucosyltransferases. Federation Proc., 39, 2085 (1980).
R. J. Light, Chalcone Synthase: Structural Features and Mechanism of Action, Hoppe -Seylers Z. Physiol. Chem., 362, 8 (1981).
R. J. Light and A. L. Trenary, Biosynthesis of Hydroxydocosanoic Acid in the Yeast Candida bogoriensis, Federation Proc., 43, 1864 (1984).
R. J. Light and J. W. Priest, Hydroquinone Epoxidation by Cell Free Extracts of Penicillium Patulum, J. Cell Biol. 107 (6, Pt.3) 622a (1988).
P. J. Gilmer and R. J. Light, Faculty Professional Enhancement Program at Florida State University, 11th Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, Atlanta, Ga., August 1990, Abstract 033.
Federal and Other Research Grants:
NIH (Direct Costs only, sole PI on all grants)
Metabolsm and Function of Aromatic Mold Metabolites
|Lipid Protein Interactions and Lipid Micelles|
|NSF (Direct and Indirect Costs, sole PI on all grants)|
|Florida Heart Association|
|Fatty Acid and Lipid Metabolism in Hear Cells|
|(Stipend for Graduate Student, Ray Degrella)||
|Alexander von Humboldt Stiftung|
|U.S. Senior Scientist Award, supporting travel and research in Germany||
|NSF IPA Assignment|
|NSF's portion of salary and fringe benefits during 15 mo. IPA assignment in Washington as Program Director||
|Chemistry Department Grants (PI or CoPI as Department Chairman)|
|Olin Corporation (support for analyses in laser and nmr labs. Grant written by Van Wart)||
|NSF Instrumentation Program--funds for laser instrumentation. Grant written by Hilinski||
|Shell Oil Co. Departmental grant for support of graduate program||
|Jesse Ball DuPont Fund--Support for undergraduate summer research program and a summer visiting faculty program. CoPI with Penny Gilmer, who administered the grant once funded.||
Invited Seminars or Lectures outside of F.S.U. Chemistry Department:
November, 1964 - Tulane University, Biochemistry Department.
February, 1965 - University of Florida, Chemistry Department.
May, 1967 - Monmouth College, Chemistry Department.
December, 1967 - Jacksonville University, Chemistry Department.
December, 1968 - Symposium speaker, Southern Regional ACS meeting, Tallahassee, Symposium on "New Ideas for General Chemistry".
February, 1969 - University of Miami, Biochemistry Department.
September, 1969 - Symposium speaker, National ACS meeting, New York, Symposium on "Biosynthesis in Plants".
April, 1970 - University of Florida, Biochemistry Department.
September, 1970 - Royal Veterinary College, Department of Medical Chemistry, Stockholm, Sweden.
April, 1977 - Biological Institute II, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, i. Br., West Germany. Plant Biochemistry Department.
June, 1977 - Laboratory of Biochemistry, University of Bordeaux II, Talence, France.
July, 1977 - Max Planck Institute for Biochemistry, Martinsried, Munich, West Germany.
March, 1980 - Biological Institute II, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, i. Br., West Germany. Plant Biochemistry Department.
June, 1980 - International Symposium on Frontiers in Lipid Research, Falmouth, Mass.
October, 1980 - Westfalische Wilhelms University Munster, West Germany. Department of Plant Biochemistry and Institute of Lipid Research.
October, 1980 - Symposium on the Biochemistry of Phenolic Compounds in Higher Plants, Saig, West Germany.
June, 1981 - Annual Meeting of American Section of International Society for Heart Research; Workshop on Isolated Myocytes: Research Applications. Burlington, VT.
February, 1982 - Merck, Sharp and Dohme Research Laboratories, Rahway, N.J.
February, 1982 - New England Nuclear, Boston, Mass.
October, 1982 - Va. Polytechnic Inst., Biochemistry Department.
July, 1984 - Zagreb University, Zagreb Yugoslavia.
February, 1985 - Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, Puerto Rico, Department of Biochemistry.
April, 1988 - Symposium speaker, Florida Section ACS meeting, Tampa, Fl.
January, 1989 - Beckman Instrument Co., Altex Division, San Ramon, CA.
September, 1993 - Department of Chemical Engineering, Florida State University
September, 1993 - Division of Basic Medical Sciences, Mercer University Medical School
- General Biochemistry for Arts and Sciences Majors
- (2 semester course)
- General Biochemistry for Human Science Majors
- (1 semester course)
- General Chemistry for Science Majors
- General Chemistry for Liberal Studies
- Organic Chemistry for Human Science Majors
- Graduate Biochemistry courses
- Medical Biochemistry (selected topics)
- George Miller Award for Excellence in Teaching, 1967
- President's Council for Excellence in College Teaching (1990-present)
- University Selection Committee, Teaching Incentive Awards (1993)
- Arts and Sciences Ad Hoc Committee on Science Education (Chairman, 1983-84)
- Advisory Committee, Office of Science Teaching Activity (Chairman, 1983-90)
- Joint Committee on Science and Math Teaching Program (1983-84)
- Rhodes Scholarship Committee (1980-82)
- Fulbright Screening Committee (1986-90)
Light, R.J., A Brief Introduction to Biochemistry, W.A. Benjamin, Inc., New York, 1968, 166 pp. (also in Japanese translation).
Following my terms as Chairman of Chemistry and the rotation as a Program Officer at NSF, I have focused more attention on teaching activities. I have been experimenting with a variety of new ways to enhance the classroom experience of my students, including the use of email and internet resources, and the encouragement of group cooperative activities. These include using the homework/course management systems CAPA and LON-CAPA (Michigan State University) in general chemistry courses.
Class Web Pages
As part of the continued experimentation with new ways of communicating with students and presenting course material, I have a class web page for each course I am teaching. These pages can be accessed through an index page at:
- Reviewer for numerous biochemistry and freshman chemistry textbook manuscripts.
- (West, William C. Brown, John Wiley, Prentice Hall, Simon and Shuster)
- FSU Delegate to 37th Triennial Council, Phi Beta Kappa, 1994
- Speaker, FSU Phi Kappa Phi Initiation, April 1994
- Speaker, FSU Darwin Lecture Series, September, 1982
- Danforth Associates Program, mid-1960's
Associate Chairman, Department of Chemistry, 1974-77
Acting Director, Program in Medical Sciences, 1978-79
Chairman, Department of Chemistry, 1983-1990
Structural Biology Program Development, 1987-1990
Program Director, National Science Foundation, 1990-91
- Faculty Honors Committee, Division of Basic Studies and College of Arts and Sciences, 1964-68
- Faculty Co-chairman, 1966 Pow Wow
- Board of Student Publications, 1967-68
- Academic Standards Committee, College of Arts and Sciences, 1967-68
- Faculty-Student Committee on Student Publications, 1968
- Faculty Advisory Committee on Basic Medical Science Program, Chairman, 1969
- Intellectual Climate Committee, 1969-70
- Biomedical Science Program Committee, 1970
- Selection Committee, Executive Vice President, 1971
- Self Study Committee on Faculty, 1971
- Advisory Committee, Program in Medical Sciences, 1973-78
- University Curriculum Committee, 1977-79
- University of Florida Medical Advisory Committee, 1978-79
- Selection Committee, Director, Program in Medical Science, Chairman, 1978
- University Sabbatical Committee, 1978
- F.S.U. Public Service Coordinating Council, 1978
- Special Services Advisory Board, 1980-82
- Rhodes Scholarship Committee, 1980-82
- Arts and Sciences Ad Hoc Committee on Science Education, Chairman, 1983-84
- Advisory Committee, Office of Science Teaching Activity, Chairman, 1983-90
- Joint Committee on Science and Math Teaching Program, 1983-84
- Committee on Biotechnology Graduate Program, 1983-84
- Search Committee, Chairman of Chemical Engineering, 1984-85
- Board of Regents Chancellor's Advisory Committee on Basic Research Funding, 1986
- Ad Hoc Committee, Laboratory Animal Facilities Development, 1986
- Fulbright Screening Committee, 1986-90
- Science Area Committee, 1983-90; Chairman, 1987-88.
- Science Center Planning Committee, Chairman, 1987-90
- Planning Committee for Development of the University Center, 1988
- Campus Development Committee, 1987-90
- President's Council for Excellence in College Teaching, charter member, 1990-present
- Faculty Senate Profess. Relations and Welfare Committee, 1993-96,
- Co-chair, 1994-95, Chair, 1996-97
- Phi Beta Kappa, Alpha of Florida Chapter
- Vice President, 1969-70, 1992-93
- President, 1971-72, 1993-94
- Phi Kappa Phi, FSU Chapter, President, 1994-95
- Doctoral Review Committee for Chemical Engineering, Chairman, 1995-96
- Doctoral Review Committee for School of Information Studies, 1997-98
- Faculty Senator, Chemistry Department, 1996-2002
- Faculty Senate Steering Committee, 1996-2002
- President, Faculty Senate, 1998-2000
- Board of Trustees, FSU Foundation, 1998-2000
- Board of Directors, FSU Alumni Association, 1998-2000
- FSU Athletic Board, 1998-2000
- NCAA Certification Self-Study Committee, 1998-99
- Academic Integrity Subcommittee
- Campus Development Committee, 1998-2001
- Search Committee, Assistant Vice President for Technology Integration, 1998
- Advisory Committee, Employee Assistance Program, 1998-99
- Auxiliary Services Board, 1998-2000
- Campus Networking Committee, Chairman, 2002-2003
- Area, College, and University Promotion and Tenure Committees, 2002-2003
Departmental Committees (1991-2003only)
- Departmental Self Study Committee for SACS Review, Chairman, 1993
- Capital Equipment Committee, 1991-93, Chairman, 1992-93
- Graduate Recruiting and Admissions Committee, 1991-93
- Graduate Curriculum and Advisory Committee, 1991-92, Chairman, 1995-2003
- Undergraduate Curriculum and Advisory Committee, 1991-93
- Computer Development Committee, 1991-93
- Space and Staff Resources Committee, 1991-93
- General Chemistry Committee, 1993-2003, Chairman, 2000-2003
- NMR Committee, Chairman, 1991-93
- Bioanalytical (BASS) Lab Committee, 1991-94, Chairman, 1993-94, 1994-95
- Executive Committee, 1992-2003
- Safety Committee, 1993-94, 1994-95
- Structural Biology Liaison Committee for Faculty Additions, 1991-93
- Taxol Royalty Committee, 1998-2000
- New Chemistry Building Planning Committee, 2000-2003